Welcome to Behind The Footy
Updated: Mar 5, 2020
What is Behind The Footy?
A big welcome to everyone (or anyone) who has landed at Behind The Footy. A bit of insight on what’s to come…
The aim is to offer a different perspective on the AFL game we all love:
- Long-form commentary on all the big footy issues
- An insight into what it’s really like at Club-land
- Weekly round previews and reviews
- Keeping the AFL media at least a little bit honest
- Plus plenty of fun along the way
I’ve spent fifteen seasons in an AFL coaches box at two different clubs, and a stint working with all the AFL teams and journalists providing numbers and analysis. In that time, I’ve nearly seen it all:
- Three sacked coaches
- Countless CEOs
- A tanking investigation
- A rather intense 6am phone call with an assistant coach client who has now become arguably the leading AFL media analyst in the business
- The Liam Jurrah story
- Several internal reviews
- An infamous trip to China for an exhibition game
- One finals series (thankfully, although it didn’t end well)
- Some extraordinary wins, losses and comebacks
While I won’t be spilling the beans on anything listed above, it’s a good platform for some independent commentary on the AFL landscape in what shapes to be a huge 2020 season.
Stay tuned for plenty of content across the year. Feedback always welcome!